With You Every Step of the Way

Dallas Modification Attorney

Modifying Prior Orders: Custody, Visitation & Support

Getting an Order ModifiedAfter a divorce decree is final, conservatorship, primary possession, visitation rights, and child support can be modified if the circumstances of the child or one or both of the parents materially and substantially change and a modification would be a positive improvement in the child’s circumstances. Modification also is warranted if the current custody order has become unworkable or inappropriate.

At The Law Office of Ellen Schutz, we have extensive experience handling divorce decree modifications and suits affecting the parent-child relationship. The firm addresses the emotional and financial hardships that often contribute to modifications. Dallas divorce lawyer Ellen Schutz has been handling modifications for prior orders for more than 20 years. She will evaluate your situation from every angle to determine the best course of action. She will fight to protect your rights and your children’s interests.

If you have questions about modifying custody, visitation, or support, call us at (214) 301-3418.

Interstate & International Modifications

Similar determinations are made by the court when enforcing or modifying interstate custody and visitation orders entered by courts in states other than Texas under the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act, which Texas has adopted.

Depending on the circumstances and the countries involved, international child custody cases may be governed by the Hague Convention, a treaty that provides for the quick recovery of a child wrongfully taken to another country or wrongfully brought to Texas from another country unless the return will create a grave risk of harm to the child. Approximately 140 countries have adopted the Hague Convention or entered into specific agreements with the United States regarding the return of children.

However, the following countries do not recognize these treaties:

  • Japan
  • China
  • The Philippines
  • Most Middle Eastern countries
  • Most South American countries

It is important for your child’s well-being that the proper conservatorship and visitation program is established by the court. It is also important that existing orders be enforced—whether across state lines or internationally—unless to do so would harm the child. If you need assistance with enforcing or modifying child custody orders or visitation orders in Dallas, call Ellen. She understands that family matters.

Contact us at (214) 301-3418 for a free initial consultation or through our online form.

What to Expect

With Our Firm on Your Side 
  • Personalized Attention

    We go the extra mile for each client so that their result is the best possible outcome

  • Experienced

    Over two decades of family law exclusive experience.

  • Responsive

    Our communication is clear and consistent. Our clients know where their case stands every step of the way.

  • Honest Representation

    Our attorney understands first hand what you're going through; our firm will always be 100 perfect transparent about your case. 


Our Clients Come First
  • “Ms. Schutz is an outstanding family law attorney and advisor. She worked very hard for me in successfully changing my child support arrangements. My circumstances were very difficult so I was thankful ...”

    - JDS
  • “Ellen is truly phenomenal, her work ethic is impeccable. She has helped me through one of the toughest times in my life and I am very pleased with how everything turned out. She is the best attorney ...”

    - Whitney W.
  • “Ms. Ellen was excellent in providing me service, I would recommend her to anyone needing a family attorney. She gets the job done and is really firm with what she says. Nothing but the best.”

    - Eric
  • “I just finished a custody battle that took almost three years. With Ellen’s professional guidance and support, I was able to secure what was best for my children. Without Ellen’s tireless and ...”

    - Russell
  • “It was great working with you. I was stuck working with a previous lawyer where my case did not proceed and I was being charged unduly. You took on my case and brought it to an end in four months with ...”

    - Bhakti D.