With You Every Step of the Way

Frequently Asked Questions

Answers from Our Dallas Family Law Attorney

At The Law Office of Ellen Schutz, we understand that navigating a divorce or family law case can be stressful and emotional. It can become even more so with children involved. That is why our Dallas family law attorney has taken the time to provide helpful answers to some of the most frequently asked questions she gets. Our goal is to be with you and there for you every step of the way.

If you still have questions after reading our FAQ, don’t hesitate to call us at (214) 301-3418 or contact us through our online form.

How long will it take until my divorce is final?

The Original Petition for Divorce is the first pleading that is filed in a divorce. The pleading must be on file for at least 60 days before the divorce can be finalized.

What is a common law marriage?

In Texas it is difficult to prove that the parties are common law married, and the courts frown on these marriages. Essentially, in order to prove a common law marriage, you must meet three points: the parties must agree to be married, they must live together as husband and wife, and they must represent to others in Texas that they are husband and wife.

What is community property?

Community property is property that has been accumulated by the parties during the term of the marriage and is subject to a “just and right” division in the event of a divorce. Property that is accumulated during the marriage by gift, devise, or inheritance is considered an exception to community property and is separate property of the individual to whom it is given or by whom it is inherited.

Is there alimony in the state of Texas?

Yes, but it is not easy to be eligible. In general, these periodic payments are intended to provide limited support for the spouse after the divorce. It is provided to protect long-term homemakers, disabled spouses, spouses who care for disabled children, and spouses affected by family violence. The party requesting alimony must have been married for more than 10 years. There must be insufficient property for him or her to support herself, or he or she cannot support him or herself because of a disability, a child’s disability, or a lack of earning capacity. The amount cannot exceed $2,500 per month or 20% of the paying spouse’s average monthly gross income. Additionally, a spouse may be eligible for spousal support if he or she proves the other spouse was convicted of or received deferred adjudication for a criminal offense that constituted an act of family violence. The general rule is that the duration of alimony is limited to three years.

How is child support determined?

Usually, the party paying child support pays 20% of that party’s net income per month for one child, 20% for two children, 30% for three children, 35% for four children, etc. In most cases, the party paying child support is also responsible for providing health insurance for the child. Child support can also be affected by the obligor (party responsible for paying child support) having additional children.

Do we have to have a trial?

Most cases settle before the trial date. The parties are free to enter into an agreement that divides their property and provides for any children. If they cannot agree on their own, they will usually have to attend a mediation.

Can my child choose which parent he or she lives with?

A child 12 years or older can execute an Affidavit of Preference stating which parent the child wants to live with. The court will take that into consideration when deciding where the child should live primarily, but ultimately the test is what is in the child’s best interest.

What happens if my ex-spouse is not paying the child support ordered?

You can file a Motion for Enforcement. If the orders are not being followed, then the judge can find the party who is not following the order in contempt of court. That spouse can be jailed and/or fined and ordered to pay your attorney’s fees and court costs.

How does the court determine where the children live and what is a typical custody arrangement?

Typically, the parties will agree on the custody arrangement for the children and the parties will be joint managing conservators of the children. That means that both parties are responsible for decision-making regarding the children. If the parties cannot agree on terms of conservatorship, then the court may order a social study and/or psychological evaluations for the parties and the children. There is usually one party that can determine the primary residence of the children and who is entitled to receive child support from the other spouse. There is also sole managing conservatorship, which is a custody arrangement where one spouse has most of the decision-making rights for the children. It is usually in the child’s best interest that the parties are joint managing conservators. Visitation is encouraged by the courts and the non-custodial parent is given visitation on the first, third, and fifth weekends of each month as well as on Thursday evenings. Holidays and vacations are split between parents. The parties are free to agree on a visitation schedule between themselves. A child under the age of three may require a specialized visitation schedule.

What is a residency restriction?

The courts want to see the parents given every opportunity to be involved with their children and so the final decree will usually limit the residency of the children to the county that they are currently living in and nearby counties. The parties are free to decide on residency restrictions.

Can child support and visitation ever be changed?

The amount of child support and/or the visitation schedule can be changed by filing a modification. Once three years have passed from the date of the original order, child support can be changed by showing that the current amount ordered no longer conforms to the child support guidelines. Prior to three years having passed, a party must show that the circumstances of a conservator, the child, or other party affected by the order have materially and substantially changed since the rendition of the order and the change would be in the best interest of the child.


Our Clients Come First
  • “Ms. Schutz is an outstanding family law attorney and advisor. She worked very hard for me in successfully changing my child support arrangements. My circumstances were very difficult so I was thankful ...”

    - JDS
  • “Ellen is truly phenomenal, her work ethic is impeccable. She has helped me through one of the toughest times in my life and I am very pleased with how everything turned out. She is the best attorney ...”

    - Whitney W.
  • “Ms. Ellen was excellent in providing me service, I would recommend her to anyone needing a family attorney. She gets the job done and is really firm with what she says. Nothing but the best.”

    - Eric
  • “I just finished a custody battle that took almost three years. With Ellen’s professional guidance and support, I was able to secure what was best for my children. Without Ellen’s tireless and ...”

    - Russell
  • “It was great working with you. I was stuck working with a previous lawyer where my case did not proceed and I was being charged unduly. You took on my case and brought it to an end in four months with ...”

    - Bhakti D.

What to Expect,

With Our Firm on Your Side.
  • Personalized Attention

    We go the extra mile for each client so that their result is the best possible outcome

  • Experienced

    Over two decades of family law exclusive experience.

  • Responsive

    Our communication is clear and consistent. Our clients know where their case stands every step of the way.

  • Honest Representation

    Our attorney understands first hand what you're going through; our firm will always be 100 perfect transparent about your case. 

Take Your First Step

& See that We're the Right Fit
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.